Monday, October 29, 2007

Photo of the Week (10/28/07)


Greetings from Fountain Valley, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Thursday, October 25, 2007.

On Saturday I dressed as Zorro for two Halloween parties and one was at my own home. My roommate and I are in neighboring chapters of a volunteer organization. His group lost its event location and our place was the 11th hour replacement. Meanwhile I also had a volleyball friend’s party on the same night. My roommate’s party had a ton of leftovers – the chicken alone will last for a month, just in time for Thanksgiving and the traditional turkey dinner. I’ll be sprouting feathers soon. Aha, a costume for next year!

The California wildfires are worldwide news. Living here, you have great odds of knowing at least one of the half-million evacuated people. I received several emails from friends and acquaintances. One mentioned watching from her bedroom window as a fire burned a nearby hillside. I talked with an evacuated couple that spent three nights sleeping in three different places. Fortunately my biggest problem was smoke and ash and not the possible loss of my home or life.

If I was asked for my most eventful year, 2007 is in strong contention to take 2nd place – this series of emails is proof to that. In indisputable 1st place is 2001 but not because of the World Trade Center disaster. So much more happened. Among them: An acquaintance committed suicide. I took three trips - to Japan for business school with classmates, to the Caribbean on a cruise with my brother and to Northern California on my own. I attended three weddings including two that occurred on the same day. A cousin’s son was about two months premature and missed being born on my own birthday (the BIG 3-0 that year!) by two days.

On the last day of 2001, I asked, “What else could happen?” Mere hours before the New Year, the question was answered when I called a classmate in Australia where it was already 2002. She updated me on our common friends. When I asked about Scott, she replied, “Have you heard? Scott is now Samantha.” Can you end a year on a note more surreal than this? By writing that, I tempt the Fates once again. Just over 2 months left – plenty of time for 2007 to become my 2nd most eventful year. I never want to top 2001.

Recently I wrote that the Red Sox team would win baseball’s World Series before I got married. Then they won and I’m not married yet. My superstitious 13th email mentioned the devilish Santa Ana winds and the weekly photo numbered “666”. Then California became hell on earth. Am I channeling Nostradamus? While you ponder, enjoy the photo: Koa the kitty playing with Tessa the golden retriever, half of the four pets (2 canine, 2 feline) that I took care of while a friend was out of town. Last week I mentioned storms and mudslides. I now predict it will soon rain like cats and dogs, as the saying goes. And be prepared for the second coming of Noah and his ark.

Angelo