Monday, November 5, 2007

Photo of the Week (11/04/07)


Greetings from Brea, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Sunday, November 4, 2007.

Despite Halloween, last week was uneventful, something that I didn’t realize until Sunday evening when I thought about the photo of the week. I was at my parents’ house once again and out of ideas on picture-worthy things and places. What to do, what to do?

On my way back to my own home, I often stop for gasoline (petrol for the non-Americans reading this) at a station in Brea. It consistently has the lowest gas prices that I have found anywhere. It’s a small comfort when you see that prices are on the rise again combined with the unusually weak exchange rate for the US dollar. But back to Brea…

The city did a redevelopment of its downtown area, making it more attractive to retail and commercial business. This is a strategy that has worked well for the cities of Orange and Pasadena (Block of Orange and Downtown Pasadena, respectively). Downtown Brea now has a 20-screen movie theatre, loft spaces for commercial and private uses and retailers big and small.

I stopped by and took a few shots. Daylight Savings Time ended this weekend. Starting this year, the Daylight Savings schedule in the USA now ends on the first Saturday of November instead of the last one for October. Nonetheless darkness comes an hour sooner. My camera flash doesn’t help much with wide shots at night and many photos were blurry. (Note to self: Buy a tripod.)

October 31 was less than a week ago, but businesses immediately switch from Halloween scary to Christmas merry. In the photo you see through a window trimmed in colored lights as employees work after regular store hours at a Bath & Body Works shop decking the halls for the holiday gift-giving season. Less than 7 weeks before Christmas. Have you gotten your shopping done yet?

Angelo