Monday, October 1, 2007

Photo of the Week (09/30/07)


Greetings from Las Rocas Hotel in Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico!
Photo was taken on Saturday, September 29, 2007.

This is the first photo in this weekly email taken outside the United States. It is also an unofficial sequel to the picture from the 07/29/07 photo of the week. The bride from the first wedding and the groom from this second wedding are siblings – sister and brother. I will be going to yet another wedding in October - my third this year – but there is no relation to the first two.

I will have gone to three weddings in each of the last three years and easily over 20 in the last decade. I know of more family, friends and acquaintances who also got married in that time that would push the count to over 40 easily. Thankfully I’m not invited to all of them. Otherwise I’d spend every weekend alternating between bachelor parties and wedding receptions.

After attending so many, I have often joked that the guest list of my own would be everyone who invited me to his or hers. As to when I myself will get married, the Boston Red Sox will probably win Major League Baseball’s World Series again before I tie the knot. Then again the Red Sox are in this year’s playoffs and may not have to wait another 86 years (or whatever the actual number is) to win it again.

The wedding in Mexico was easily in my top three of best wedding receptions ever. I know a lot of people at my family’s weddings but my relatives don’t drink. If you go to a wedding where you don’t know many people, then drinking isn’t as much fun. When you know a lot of the other guests AND they drink AND the reception has an open bar AND you don’t have to drive later, it makes for one AWESOME party. Senor bartender, a round of tequila shots, por favor.

I lost count of my drinks after 10. I joked with one friend that I would have to rate the wedding as a 10+ because of this. I may have lost count of drinks, but I didn’t “lose my lunch” although other people said they did (and no hangover the next day – WOOHOO!). I thought that I lost my suit jacket but the groom’s sister called me a few days later and said I left it in the wedding couple’s suite and she now had it. How did it ended up in that room and why she had it now? The travel rule applies: What happened in Mexico, stays in Mexico.

Angelo