Monday, September 24, 2007

Photo of the Week (09/23/07)


Greetings from My Parents’ House in West Covina, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Sunday, September 23, 2007.

I must confess. I didn’t do much this week. The past month has been busy but I finally spent time reading mail and paying bills and washing laundry and… I even booked my hotel room for next weekend’s trip to Mexico for a wedding. I am heading south of the border… With an expired passport. At least my driver’s license is current.

A new law passed tightening passport requirements for international travel. A consequence was a larger than expected rise in passport applications, stretching the processing time up to 3 months. Because of the delays, the law was temporarily relaxed for land crossings only to the U.S. neighbors of Mexico and Canada. An expired passport was better than no passport. Disaster diverted.

Although I had read about the new laws and expected delays, I put off getting a new one. The government was in the final stages of issuing a new computer-chip-embedded passport. Also passports are valid for 10 years and I vainly thought about the picture of me that people would see for the next decade. Let me lose some weight first. In fact I wouldn’t mine reusing my previous passport picture. I look younger (I was younger). I should attend a Vanity Anonymous meeting. Hello, my name is Angelo and I am vain.

Can you tell that I am fluffing up this email? As for the photo, it was Sunday afternoon and I had not taken a single shot all week. I was at my parents’ house and racked my brain for ideas. Eureka, the turtles! They belong to my brother and, well, that’s all I got. I already admitted that this was an uneventful week. As the saying goes… Confession is good for the soul. And it makes you look younger too.

Angelo