Monday, June 9, 2008

Photo of the Week (June 8, 2008)


Greetings from Santa Ana, California, USA!
Photo taken on Tuesday, June 3, 2008.

How can I not start with this week’s photo? This puppy is a female golden retriever with the Hawaiian name of Kala. She practically blends into the pile of stuffed animals and chew toys in the photo. Few things are as peaceful as a sleeping puppy but looks are deceiving. Kala chews and gnaws at everything (she has even broken skin on my arm - nothing serious) and needs to be potty trained (she left a few “surprises” around the office).

As I have mentioned previously, I am temporarily working for a friend. He runs his own business and brings his dogs into the office. He already has a male weinaramer named Bismarck and another female golden retriever named Tessa (short for Contessa). The latter dog is almost 10 years old and has hip dysplasia, a form of arthritis commonly found in canines, especially larger breeds. Because of her age and physical condition, Tessa is not expected to live much longer. To ease the coming loss, my friend decided to get Kala as a new companion for Bismarck as well as the rest of the family.

In other news, last weekend I saw my parents who gave me a birthday present – cash. I get the same thing for Christmas too. In fact last year in late April when visiting my parents for the weekend, I mentioned saving up for a new laptop computer and they asked how much it would cost. Right before leaving to go home, I got an early birthday present – a check with an amount large enough to buy the computer (and a printer too).

This year the money was a smaller but traditional amount. Since my current job is only temporary, I could save the cash for an emergency but, come on, it’s birthday money. I gotta spend it on something fun or at least slightly unnecessary. After a bit of thought, I bought the current version of Microsoft Outlook. I had an older edition of the software that came with my last computer but it had compatibility problems with the Microsoft Vista operation system on my newer laptop.

I lived without the program for a year and missed it the entire time. The experience was like breaking a bone in your arm. You still have the arm but it is entirely unusable. Now all my limbs are working again and I feel complete computer-wise. But getting a puppy too would be nice.

Angelo