Monday, June 30, 2008

Photo of the Week (June 29, 2008)


Greetings from Newport Beach, California, USA!
Photo taken on Thursday, June 26, 2008.

Can you tell that I really like the Microsoft Outlook computer program? This is the third time in the last four weekly emails that I have mentioned it. One of Outlook’s features is a calendar where I diligently keep track of what I do. My entries includes mundane trips to the post office and bank mixed in with more interesting outings to the Orange County Fair and job interviews. Additionally I’ve set up reminders for birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other significant events.

This may sound obsessive compulsive but I even write in “Did Nothing/Went Nowhere” if I stayed home to show that I did not forget to enter what I did that day. When writing these emails, I look at the Outlook calendar to refresh my memory. This week I have three days – Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday – marked with “Did Nothing/Went Nowhere”.

Fortunately the other four days had some noteworthy stuff. Highlights include lunch at a sushi restaurant on Sunday and beach volleyball as usual on Monday. Friday I went with a roommate and his friends to see “Wall-E”, the latest in a very successful line of computer-animated movies by Pixar Studios. I enjoyed this movie a lot and recommend it to everyone.

And Thursday? This week’s photo shows what I did on that day. My membership in the Newport Beach chapter of the Junior Chamber organization also covers activities with the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce. That group offered a complimentary two-hour yacht cruise of Newport Harbor. Sunny skies, warm winds and FOOD! I’m there!!! I invited a friend to join me. She was actually hesitant to go but ultimately went with me. She was in her first trimester and realized that she would not be able to do this later in her pregnancy or after she has her baby. Thinking that, she could not pass up on this opportunity.

In American business summer technically begins with the Memorial Day holiday, the last Monday of May, but the official start of the season in the Northern Hemisphere was last Saturday, June 21. I look at this week’s photo and a steady stream of words swirl in my mind – carefree, timeless, wild, fleeting. In other words – SUMMER! Three months of days like this is plenty of temptation to pull me away from the computer instead of looking for a job or updating my Outlook calendar. Frankly if every day is as picture perfect as this, I’m not fighting temptation.

Angelo