Monday, April 7, 2008

Photo of the Week (April 6, 2008)


Greetings from Laguna Beach, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, April 6, 2008.

I declare March 2008 as permanently missing. Of the 25 days from Monday 3/2 to Thursday 3/27, I worked on 23 of them. A few were half-days but most were easily full days and then some, painting walls and hammering nails and cutting wood. Meanwhile the rest of my life suffered. Laundry piled up. Job search sputtered. Even these weekly emails were delayed. I am amazed at what my body endured and what it needed to recover. When the job was done, I spent the following day sleeping. In fact I slept a lot over the next several days. I’d wake up after a full night’s rest, eat a meal, watch TV and fall asleep again for several more hours. Now my batteries are fully recharged again.

A sign that life is back to normal is watching a UCI Men’s Volleyball competition. I missed every home game in March but on Tuesday night, April 1st, no fooling - I went to another match, this one against the nationally ranked #2 team, the Matadors of California State University, Northridge (CSUN). In a close first game, CSUN won 30-28 and UCI took the second game 30-24. Game 3 was one for the record books. The 2-point lead needed to win made the game lasted well past the 30-point minimum. The final score was an impressive 42-40, UCI winning. For the CSUN Matadors, the defeat severely dampened their energy as game 4 ended with a humbling 30-18 loss, giving the UCI Anteaters the match, 3 games to 1.

I later read an article that stated Game 3 was the UCI team’s longest ever and the 42-40 score was the third highest in conference history. The two highest scores were 45-43 and 43-41 and coincidentally also involved CSUN. But the article did not mention the other opponents or the winners of those games. The UCI team is on the road for its final three matches of the regular season. They competed and won again on Saturday night against the Gauchos of sister university UC Santa Barbara. That victory clinched a spot for the Anteaters in the playoffs.

Lastly here is the weekly photo. Despite the many hours and days spent on work, I was able to squeeze in some photography. Yet ironically this week was completely open and I didn’t take a single picture until Sunday afternoon. Also I had not repeated a city in the photos for several weeks. I went to Laguna Beach to continuing that trend, ignoring my recent practice to avoid unnecessary driving due to high fuel prices and no income. The picture is of the landmark lifeguard building of the city’s Main Beach. The shot is a bit blurry but the last light in the evening sky exuded layers of blue hues possessing a calming quality, the perfect way to end any day. Thank You and Good Night.

Angelo