Monday, April 28, 2008

Photo of the Week (April 27 & May 4, 2008) Part 1 of 2


Greetings from Fountain Valley, California, USA!
Photo taken on Wednesday, April 23, 2008.

I’m back. Life has a way of distracting you. Yet this email is all about life - the times alone or shared, big and small, unique or routine, happy or sad. A perfect example is this week’s photo of two friends’ son taking his daily bath. It was a classic slice-of-life moment guaranteed to make people crack a smile. I was at their house at bath time and just couldn’t pass up taking a few shots as “Boo”, his nickname, splashed in the tub. The glass doors spared me from getting my own bath.

In other news, I attended a film festival. Park City (Utah) has Sundance, New York City has Tribeca and Newport Beach has, well, the Newport Beach Film Festival. A friend had four extra passes but I only took two as the festival ended the next day. I could only go that night, having plans already for the following evening. I picked two movies, was delayed and arrived far too late to watch the first one but did see the second.

The movie was “Osso Bucco”, an Italian dish loved by one character. Except for the opening and closing scenes, the movie takes place entirely in a Chicago restaurant on a stormy winter evening. As you may have already guessed, various people are snowed in without electricity overnight. Despite the clichéd situation, the actors and their roles made the story enjoyable. The characters and plot involved two cops trying to arrest two mobsters, one of whom has a crushed on the food server who is in a rocky relationship with the restaurant manager. Typically at film festivals, members of the movie’s cast and crew had a question & answer session after the screening, providing insight into the moviemaking process. Overall I give the movie and that evening two thumbs up.

By the way you may have noticed the two dates in the header. I had a topic that encompassed both weeks and decided not to break it up. But you have to wait until my next email to read all about it. Sorry. A little suspense won’t kill you, right?

One weekly email down and just how many more until I am caught up (again)? I’ll forgo counting. The number may discourage and delay me even more. Then I’ll get further behind and this vicious cycle continues. But Boo has the right idea. Soaking in a warm bath is one of life’s simple joys. Just don’t use your laptop while in the tub. The water damage is irreversible and, no, that is not the “distraction” that delayed my weekly emails. I’m just saying…

Angelo