Monday, April 21, 2008

Photo of the Week (April 20, 2008)


Greetings from West Covina, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, April 20, 2008.

Tax Day 4/15 was this week. I always use my previous tax return when doing the current one and something odd showed up. I worked nearly all of 2006 but barely half of 2007. Yet my total income for 2007 exceeded that for 2006. I checked and saw why but will skip the explanation. Nonetheless it is all legitimate and accurate. Now I am inspired to figure out how to not work at all and have more income.

College men’s volleyball began its playoffs. My two alma maters UCI and USC met twice during the regular season with the Trojans losing both times. Wednesday night was the third face off. A friend could not attend and asked me to text the score every five points as the game was not broadcast via television, radio or internet. My texting skills are beginner level and I would have spent the entire match typing. Instead I updated him every 10 points and the experience proved to be a great crash course in texting shorthand. The UCI Anteaters won 3 games to 2 (24-30, 30-26, 21-30, 30-25, 15-9).

The next match was on Saturday in Provo, Utah, against the formidable Cougars of Brigham Young University (BYU). Team UCI had also faced them twice during the regular season, including one exciting match that I recounted back in February, and the Cougars defeated the Anteaters both times. My experiences in new technology continued. Earlier this month I listened to an internet radio feed of one match, then I mastered texting and now I watched the game through an internet video feed. The Anteaters started badly but improved with each game. Nevertheless the Cougars ultimately won 3 games to 1 (30-20, 30-22, 28-30, 30-28).

Season over for Team UCI but the regional and national championships are still to come and both are being held locally. With my favored team out, I am less inclined to go but still interested to see who wins the two titles.

Finally this is my 10th straight photo of the week without repeating a city. The pressure is on. How long can I keep this going? I recently mentioned that my parents were expanding their house’s guest bedroom. The work began two weeks ago with the tearing down of the enclosed patio. The foundation has been laid and the framework is going up as shown in the photo. Since I’m not working I could stay there and take daily shots of the work but my parents have no internet connection (or cable!). After my recent experiences in technology, how could I ever live so primitively again?

Angelo