Monday, April 14, 2008

Photo of the Week (April 13, 2008)


Greetings from Beverly Hills, California, USA!
Photo taken on Monday, April 7, 2008.

On Monday I trekked to Los Angeles to meet with yet another headhunter in my never-ending job search. Although the appointment was for 10 AM after the morning work rush, I still added time for possible traffic but it was not enough. I hit a slow patch and ultimately got off the freeway and braved the streets, which actually slowed me more. I was a half-hour late but did call earlier to tell my contact of the delay.

Having already driven this far, I had planned to spend the rest of the day in the City of Angels. I tentatively scheduled to meet a friend for a late breakfast but my earlier delay made it lunch instead. We ate at Farmers Market where the vendors offer a world of choices – Chinese, French, Cajun, to name just three. I chose Mexican. Then I went to the neighboring shopping center The Grove for a quick browse before going to my next destination.

Beverly Hills’ Rodeo Drive needs no introduction. But I will mention that the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, the setting of the movie Pretty Woman, is located at the Wilshire Boulevard intersection and its lobby is my photo of the week. While I did not see “Vivian”, a celebrity was “walking down the street”. The woman caught my attention only because of the half-dozen photographers trailing her. Who she is, I do not know and the paparazzi definitely looked and behaved unruly.

Final stop was Museum Mile, the stretch of Wilshire Blvd. containing the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Petersen Automotive Museum and the Page Natural History Museum. The Petersen is closed on Mondays but I have been to it before so not a disappointment. I had also been to the Page before but revisited it, awed again by the fossils, all from the neighboring La Brea Tar Pits. I also saw the Japanese Art Pavilion at LACMA before finally heading home.

After that packed day, I did not go out again until Friday evening to watch friends play in a softball league. Then for nearly three hours on Saturday afternoon, I played beach volleyball, the first time this year. The construction work last month eliminated much of the sore muscles that I could have had later. We played in Huntington Beach and finding a street parking spot was a challenge. In fact I drove around so much that I had trouble finding my car later because every street looked familiar. Lastly I went to a three-year-old’s birthday party on Sunday. I missed the water balloon fight but later I was able to appease my inner child by playing with one of the gifts. I have now added a super-soaker to my wish list and my birthday is next month (hint, hint).

Angelo