Monday, November 12, 2007

Photo of the Week (11/11/07)


Greetings from the Wine Cellar shop & bar in Lake Forest, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Saturday, November 10, 2007.

I am in my 10th year (A Decade – YIKES!) as a member of the Junior Chamber AKA the “Jaycees”. The organization has chapters throughout the world and its purpose is leadership through community service and other projects. I give much credit to the group for my acceptance into the USC Marshall School of Business - its MBA programs are among the USA’s best. I’ve been involved in my chapter’s board of directors off and on through the years and I believe those experiences helped me stand out among the applicants for business school.

To show my appreciation to the Jaycees, I decided that I would chair one project a year. Past events have included organizing volunteers for the Taste of Newport festival (3 years), a beach barbecue & bonfire (also 3 years), a whale watching cruise and a scavenger hunt. This year I organized a Holiday Charity Social. Essentially it was a cocktail party held at a wine shop & bar (the Social part) where we also collected donations for the Pajama Project (the Holiday Charity part), which provides children with sleepwear, books and toys.

If you have ever organized an event big or small such as a dinner for 10 or a wedding for 100 or something in between, then you know that the week leading to it and especially the day of the event can keep you busy. A good portion of my last week was spent prepping for this social. That included getting the wine glasses shown in the photo of the week. One company donated this stemware that attendees would keep. The glasses had the name of the business that just happened to be owned by a very good friend.

The social was a new project and we had bumps along the way that delayed event promotion and advertising. Consequently attendance was low – approximately 25 people – and my goal was 40 to 50. Nonetheless we made a good profit.

“VOLUNTEER. LEAD. SUCCEED.” That is my Jaycee chapter’s motto. I believe that the project accomplished that. Despite the low turnout, the social was lively. Another motto is, “Eat, drink & be merry!” The food was delicious, the wine flowed freely and the attendees had a great time. And so did I. Cheers!

Angelo