Monday, November 19, 2007

Photo of the Week (11/18/07)




Greetings from MetroPointe Shopping Center in Costa Mesa, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Friday, November 16, 2007.

Among my few rules is one picture per weekly email. But what if I pasted two photos together? Loophole! I don’t want every picture from now until the end of the year to be holiday-related, yet counting this email, two of my last three photos are precisely that. With six weeks left in the year, let’s see how well I do in maintaining diversity. As for this week’s combo-photo, I really liked the night shot. When it’s juxtaposed next to the day one, the decorative lighting stood out even more.

Gasoline prices are rapidly climbing up again. My Jeep Wrangler gets about 16-18 miles/gallon. I’m not buying another car yet but I want my next one to get better mileage. I’ve always tried to combine multiple destinations on car trips but it’s gotten to the point where I’ll avoid driving altogether. I spend a lot more time at home and that makes going out to take photos a bigger challenge.

Meanwhile the entertainment industry’s writers’ union is on strike. I am for the writers. They get 1/3 of one cent per dollar of revenue from video sales & rentals, television reruns, etc. That’s 33 cents per $100 – literally pennies. Writers currently get nothing for new media such as digital downloads via the internet and are demanding 2/3 of one cent per dollar. Overhead costs are practically nothing in the virtual reality of the web compared to the production of dvds. The governor for the state of California is Arnold Schwarzenegger, a former actor. He hasn’t intervened in the matter. I never voted for him and don’t expect much from him either.

This month next year the United States will vote for a new leader in the first election where no candidate was president or vice president previously since Dwight Eisenhower defeated Adlai Stevenson in 1952, over 55 years ago. The race is wide open. I can’t even guess the candidates from the two major political parties. Meanwhile I didn’t vote for Bush #2 as U.S. President yet he was elected… TWICE. Gas prices up, exchange rates down. I can’t blame him for Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, et. al. but the recovery efforts were really bad. In contrast this year his original presidential opponent Al Gore received the Nobel Peace Prize as well as Oscar and Emmy awards. Who would have predicted this?

Speaking of predictions, in October I predicted a storm of biblical proportions but no rain yet. I’ll give it until the end of this month but don’t hold your breath. Then again maybe you should. We may soon ditch gas-powered cars for solar-powered boats as the global warming that Gore talks about will have melted the polar ice caps. But what do I know.

Angelo