Monday, June 1, 2009

Photo of the Week (May 31, 2009)

Greetings from Anaheim, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, May 31, 2009.

In my birthday week, I watched Star Trek on Wednesday and Up on Friday. A buoyant adventure, the latter movie is the 10th computer-animated feature by Pixar, which continues its perfect hit record. Meanwhile after 10 films in a long-running franchise, the narrative relaunch of the starship Enterprise and crew – Capt. Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, et. al. – also succeeded. Star Trek continues to live long and prosper.

Coincidentally those same days I also watched games 5 & 6 of professional basketball’s Western Conference Championship between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Denver Nuggets. I correctly predicted that the Lakers would prevail in 6 games. Kobe Bryant and team next face the Orlando Magic in the NBA Finals. Go Lakers!!!

My Friday activities were actually in Los Angeles following a mid-afternoon job interview. Did I get the job? Find out next week like I did. After seeing the movie Up at the Century City Shopping Center, a friend and I watched the basketball game at O’Hara’s bar in Westwood, a shopping & social district. Following the Lakers’ win, we dine at an Italian place and waited in line at a bakery for very delicious cookies costing only 35 cents each. This was my first trip into Westwood and I enjoyed the adventure.

The weekend started the first two of several days in packing, moving and unpacking. Lack of work forces me to live at my parents’ house again. My two roommates have decided not to get a replacement and instead will share my old room as an office. Since they are not rushing me out and my brother missed his own deadline to clear all his stuff from my old bedroom, I moved only one carload each on Saturday and Sunday, allowing time for fun.

On Saturday evening a neighbor and I went to a barbecue by a common friend. Then on Sunday I intended to visit Disneyland since Disney offers free admission to one of its theme parks on your actual birthday. For being a California resident, I receive a two-park pass instead. SWEET! Having arrived late in the day, I went to Disney’s California Adventure, the smaller of the two adjoining parks, and have the next 30 days to use the free pass for Disneyland.

I had a packed calendar in my final week as an Orange County resident and it ended with a blast literally. The weekly photo shows the colorful bursts from Disneyland’s traditional summertime fireworks as seen over the replica of the Golden Gate Bridge in Disney’s California Adventure – an awesome way to end any birthday.

Angelo