Monday, June 8, 2009

Photo of the Week (June 7, 2009)


Greetings from Hollywood, California, USA!
Photo taken on Friday, June 5, 2009.

June gloom is a seasonal phenomenon but it also described this week. Beyond the traditional overcast skies, the weather – thunder, lightning and rain – complemented my glum mood brought by bad news. The agent who set up my job interview last week told me that the clients met with 4 people total and chose no one. Instead they want to see new candidates. Meanwhile next week I had another meeting scheduled but it was cancelled as that client reconsidered seeing me and offered the job to someone already interviewed.

The unwanted but much needed move back to my parents’ house slowly continued. I unpacked a majority of boxes – essentials like clothes and furniture. The rest – such as kitchen items and collections of comic books, shot glasses, etc. – will remain boxed and stored in the garage until I need or have room for them. Amidst it all, I busted my cel phone’s screen. Sure I get a new phone but I rather not spend the money right now.

The biggest change is that my parents have no internet connection and cable television service. This is like losing both your legs. Not having one is hard but neither is harsh. My short-term solution is the free wi-fi at the public library and the local Panera Bread cafe. It will have to do for now though it is far from ideal or convenient. In fact on Thursday I split six hours between Panera and the library.

I had some respite on Friday. First I went to Studio City for a business networking lunch, which was okay, then ventured to nearby Hollywood. If an entertainer has a star on the Walk of Fame, a wreath is placed over it when that person passes away. Actor David Carradine recently died and I took a shot of his wreath-covered star but chose something else for the week’s photo. Among the hand and shoe prints at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre are those of legendary Clint Eastwood, who happens to share my birthday.

Also on the horizon is my high school 20-year class reunion. (Yes, I am that old.) Apparently except for a tentative date, nothing else had yet been done so two classmates sent emails asking fellow alumni to help. We formed a committee and met this weekend with the first and biggest goal of finding a location. We are off to a late and slow start but at least it is happening.

I am looking forward to the reunion but dreading the question, “What are you doing nowadays?” I do not want my answer to be, “I am looking for work and living with my parents.” Between now and the reunion, hopefully my fortunes will take a turn for the better. Then I could say, “I have a job and my own place”. As Eastwood may say, that would “make my day”.

Angelo