Monday, June 22, 2009

Photo of the Week (June 21, 2009)


Greetings from Irvine, California, USA!
Photo taken on Tuesday, June 9, 2009.

I always find the third week of June eventful. In addition to Father’s Day, it includes my dad’s birthday and my parents’ wedding anniversary. While I need not do anything for the last occasion, the other two are another story. If the hi-tech world is symbolized by the all-in-one iPhone – a convergence of web browser, camera, media player and more – then my father is content with a rotary telephone. Thinking simply, I gave him a dvd and card for his birthday and Father’s Day, respectively.

But if he was asked what his favorite gift was this year, his response may be something not received personally – the Los Angeles Lakers winning professional basketball’s NBA Championship title last week. My dad avidly watched the team during their 1980s’ heyday. Following a lackluster 1990s, the Lakers entered the 2000s with three straight championships. Perhaps they will repeat the “three-peat”, transitioning into the next decade with another trio of consecutive titles. It would be nice and only time will tell.

This Wednesday the Lakers had a victory parade & rally. I did not expect seeing my retired dad head to Los Angeles and partake in the event but at least he would watch the telecast. Instead he was on the golf course with friends, playing their weekly game. Meanwhile I saw the televised procession. It moved down Figueroa Street, starting at the Staples Center, the team’s home, and finishing at the Los Angeles Coliseum with a rally and a presentation of the team past and present.

If only my job search had a victory. After an interview I mentally replay and self-evaluate the meeting. I had another one on Friday. My assessment was “unimpressive” and a follow-up/thank you note would not do much to improve it. My search continues. Before moving on, I proffer this: I often find myself working in one county and living in another. Doing both in the same one is always short-lived. This latest job lead was in Orange County and I live again in Los Angeles County. Hello, irony.

Plenty happened this week but I took just two photos and neither one is worth including. I must break my own rules again and select a shot from the previous week instead. At a UC Irvine event last June, I toured a building in an early construction stage. A year later I toured again the same structure, nearly complete. This week’s photo, the skyline of neighboring city Costa Mesa, was taken on its “sixth floor” – actually the rooftop. Great view and cool experience.

On the roof I could have shouted a Titanic “I’m King of the World!” atop an air vent, recording and sending it via my iPhone wannabe to my dad. But he has a rotary telephone. Irony, we meet again.

Angelo