Monday, September 17, 2007

Photo of the Week (09/16/07)


Greetings from the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Sunday, September 16, 2007.

This is my 10th photo of the week and I see a trend. Half (5) of my chosen pictures were taken on a Sunday, 2 on Monday, another 2 on Friday and 1 on Saturday. Nothing is from the middle of the week – Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Despite my free time most of my more noteworthy activities are happening near or on the weekends. This week is no exception.

This weekend was the Taste of Newport, a three-day food & music festival, and this year was a milestone as I volunteered for the 10th consecutive time. Okay, my motives are not completely altruistic. I volunteer at the alcohol booths – selling, serving and, um, sampling.

There is more. Socializing with friends, drinking, people-watching, drinking, eating, drinking. Did I mention drink… um, music? This year the headlining performers were Huey Lewis & The News on Friday, Devo on Saturday, and Kevin Costner on Sunday. No, not a typo. Yes, Kevin Costner the actor.

The original plan was going to the Taste on Friday for Huey Lewis and Saturday for volunteering. I have gotten to know the event organizers very well over the years and found out that they were shorthanded on volunteers Friday and Sunday, so I offered to help out on those days too.

I caught most of the Huey Lewis performance, which was good, I completely missed the Devo show as I was working a drink booth far from the stage at the time and I left before Costner sang but heard later that he was decent. I already had a prior commitment elsewhere at the same time as his show.

A friend invited me to a Sunday evening mixer at the Aquarium of the Pacific that included access to all the exhibits. The place has otters, octopi, starfish, jellyfish, lobsters, sea horses, and much, much more. I had just been here a year and a half ago but this return visit was just as great. The aquarium has touching pools filled with sharks, stingrays and horseshoe crabs. I reached in, picked up a crab and discovered that it was “stuck” to another one. They were mating and did not stop despite my intrusion. Horseshoe crabs have existed for millions of years. I witnessed one of the reasons why.

Once again so many pictures of so many creatures and I must limit myself to one. I should start a website so I can post all the other photos. Which do I choose? The ice sculpture. It was next to the bar. Do you see another trend?

Angelo