Monday, April 27, 2009

Photo of the Week (April 26, 2009)


Greetings from Costa Mesa, California, USA!
Photo taken on Friday, April 24, 2009.

Working or not, I find that my more interesting activities are on Friday or the weekend. It happens in part because event planners want to maximize attendance and people go out less during the workweek. Case in point, South Coast Plaza holds an annual Garden Show that runs from Thursday to Sunday. Briefly glimpsing it last year, I wanted to see more this time and went on Friday.

At the show vendors sell flowers, cacti and other plants as well as garden accessories. It showcased patios too but the event’s center of attention is more that a super-sized table centerpiece. The weekly photo shows just a small part of the two-story extravaganza. Seen in its entirety, the display could be called “Entrance to the Garden of Eden”. It had a gate, a fountain, hummingbirds and more all made from organic materials – seeds, flowers, leaves, etc. In fact it was created by the same people who do floats for the Tournament of Roses Parade.

On Saturday I ventured into enemy territory and lived to tell the tale. What possible reason could I have to set foot on the campus of UCLA, cross-town rival to USC? The answer is the Festival of Books, held in Bruin Country. For the last several years I thought of going but never went until now. This was my virgin voyage and it went well as I accompanied a friend who not only attended previously but was also a Bruin alumna.

The huge crowds surprised me. People are still interested in the printed page. In addition to perusing book booths, my friendly Bruin and I attended one of the many panel discussions offered throughout the weekend festival. The topic was the future of newspapers, the forum lasted an hour and I was enlightened. News has value but consumers seldom pay its full price. Instead information in newspapers as well as the internet is subsidized by advertising revenue. Here I am at school learning again.

The next day I had two parties and the first one was at home. For a second year one roommate hosted an intentionally belated Easter-Passover combo gathering. I steered clear of the kitchen as he prepared lamb shanks in red wine sauce for 12 or so people. The meal was quite a production and unarguably delectable. I would have gone for seconds (and thirds and…) but still had another party to attend.

A couple in Laguna Niguel hosted the second social. Dinner was more mainstream – burgers, chicken, pasta, salad, etc. – but was just as satisfying as my last meal. Lest you think that I will eat any food placed in front of me, not true. While my tastes range widely from breadfruit to wasabi, I have yet acquired a liking to African, Middle Eastern and Indian delicacies. And no anchovies on pizza either.

Angelo