Monday, April 20, 2009

Photo of the Week (April 19, 2009)


Greetings from Newport Beach, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, April 19, 2009.

On the road for its last two matches against Stanford and the University of the Pacific, UC Irvine men’s volleyball won both with 3-game sweeps and finished the season as the top-ranked team in its conference and the nation with a 24-4 record. In the next three weeks are the conference tournaments and the national championship. Stayed tuned.

[Play applause soundtrack]

Otherwise my week was significantly uneventful. On the verge of going stir crazy, I watched a movie on Friday. Leaving home without checking the listings, I went to a theatre with nothing appealing but ultimately chose 17 Again. The title conveys an oft-used premise – an adult magically becomes his teenage self again.

Not counting the documentary IMAX films in January, this was my first movie of the year. My last one was the 007 flick Quantum of Solace in November. I found 17 Again to be good, not great and rate it 2.5 stars out of 5. That concludes the week’s highlights and I rate those 1 star out of 5. Thrilling, wasn’t it?

[Pause for awkward silence]

This week’s photo offers further proof to my calendar’s recent lackluster state. Yet to take any pictures by Sunday evening, I scoured my home for a photo op. The outcome was this stuffed toy trio in a corner of my bedroom. I frequently mention my alma maters so the UC Irvine Anteater and the USC Trojan Horse are no surprise. In between the two is a costumed Winnie the Pooh bear. Embroidered on his soles are the word and symbol for Gemini, my astrological sign. Together they represent three facets of my life.

Time to put this week to behind me. Hmm… Maybe I can fast forward to the next one.

[Rewind to start]

On the road for its last two matches…

[Stop playback]

I hit the wrong DVR button. I have no need to relive a dull week. Like the malign 2008 movie Get Smart, I would not rewatch something so boring. Now where is the remote?

[Delete]

Angelo