Monday, November 17, 2008

1 Week, 1 Photo & 500 Words or Less (November 16, 2008)


Greetings from Irvine, California, USA!
Photo taken on Saturday, November 15, 2008.

A few months ago there was a weekend with plenty of events – an auto show, a rubber duck race and a sand castle contest among my choices – but the one and only thing I did was visit my folks. This Saturday I had no parental plans and five activities scheduled throughout the day. In theory I could do them all. In reality I predicted skipping at least one event. Here is what was scheduled and what actually happened.

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Play Beach Volleyball. I woke up late but had a text message saying it was cancelled because of the extremely windy weather. These winds were also spreading another round of wildfires and would play havoc on my schedule again later. With my morning freed up, I was able to squeeze in a haircut between refueling my car with gas and myself with brunch before heading to my next appointment.

12:00 PM – 1:15 PM Watch UC Irvine Men’s Water Polo Match. UC Irvine was host to several sporting events. Crawford Field had a youth soccer tournament, Anteater Ballpark had a baseball game, Crawford Gym had a men’s volleyball invitational and the Anteater Pool had water polo where I watched UC Irvine narrowly defeated the University of the Pacific. I also watched a volleyball match between fellow UC schools. UC Santa Barbara defeated UC Santa Cruz 3-1. Lastly this week’s photo shows the wildfire smoke in the background of a soccer game.

3:00 PM – 5:00 PM Watch Concordia University’s Women’s Volleyball Match. I received another text message saying that this match was moved to 6:00 PM as the opposing team was delayed due to the roads closed by the wildfires. The new time conflicted with another event. I passed the time at MainPlace Mall in Santa Ana, which was in the general direction of my next event.

5:30 PM – 8:30 PM Attend Holiday / Farewell Party. Two coworkers are moving cross-country to work in the company’s new office in New York City. The wildfires delayed or prevented some people from attending. Nonetheless the party was lively. While the affair lasted until midnight, I made an early exit to make my final event.

9:00 PM – 11:00 PM Attend Art Underneath. The organizers of the Newport Beach Film Festival hold an annual fundraiser social which includes a lingerie show. Needless to say, this was the one event that I was not going to miss and I was not disappointed. I did get a few photos but my selfish side will not share them.

So 12 hours and 40 miles later, I was home again. My plans had a few detours but overall a very good day. Now I need to sleep for a week to recover.

Angelo