Monday, May 26, 2008

Photo of the Week (May 25, 2008)


Greetings from Tustin, California, USA!
Photo taken on Thursday, May 22, 2008.

A few weeks ago I started a short-term job at a business owned by a friend. I had barely been there a week when I got a call from one of the many job placement agencies with which I signed up. It had a one-week assignment for me. After months of nothing from any agency, I finally get something and I’m already working elsewhere. I had a quick conversation with my friend who was incredibly understanding about the situation.

The job start last week and was at the Orange County Register newspaper. The parent company Freedom Media just went through a round of lay-offs. I was working in the Creative Department, which lost nearly half its employees and needed temporary help while it reorganized. The length of the work assignment doubled to two weeks as I would cover for a person who was on vacation the following week. The job itself was easy as it matched well with my previous work experience and skills. In fact I had plenty of down time and I jokingly told a few friends later that reading the newspaper was practically a required part of the job.

The newspaper has its own five-story building with its printing facility in an adjoining structure. A sister company, the local television station KOCE, has offices in the first floor and that channel played on its dining center television. The cafeteria’s location was surprising. I expected it to be on the first floor but it was on the fourth instead. It also had a patio with a great view, as the building is located in a mostly residential area.

The building was literally just a mile or so down the road from my friend’s office. Because of this close proximity, I was able to work both jobs. On most days I was able to put in an hour or so at my friend’s office during my lunch break or before/after working at the newspaper job.

While I did take pictures inside the newspaper offices and the fourth floor patio view, this week’s photo was taken elsewhere. The slightly blurry shot shows one of the two air hangers at the former Tustin Marine Corps Air Station. I took several photos to find the best setting and angle to show the truly enormous size of the structure (and its twin). The military base closed several years ago and current redevelopment plans have only one hanger staying up. While the buildings have both military and architectural significance, maintenance and preservation costs are naturally as large as the structures themselves. The challenge is finding a use for buildings of this size and shape. I’m stumped. Ideas, anyone?

Angelo