Monday, May 12, 2008

Photo of the Week (May 11, 2008)


Greetings from Laguna Niguel, California, USA!
Photo taken on Tuesday, May 6, 2008.

Happy Mother’s Day! Over the past several years I have seen trends among family and friends. First came a wave of weddings happening practically every weekend. Next came a flurry of feathers as the stork worked overtime delivering a blur of pink and blue bundles of joy. Then black balloons bobbed by as friends tease you for hitting 40. This was followed by more weddings and then more babies, some born but others adopted.

In less than a year, I know three couples who have all adopted babies. Circa August last year the first couple went to the husband’s (and my) homeland, the Philippines, in Asia and brought back a son. In March another couple went to Africa and brought back a daughter. So far the tally is one boy and one girl.

Breaking the tie, another couple stayed within national borders and brought home their adopted son from St. Louis, Missouri. The new parents presented their prodigy, this week’s photo, at a little party, which doubled as a belated 40th birthday for the proud papa too. While father and son share attention on Saturday, mother surely got her shot in the spotlight the very next day, enjoying her first of many Mother’s Days to come.

Of course I visited my own mother (and father) that Sunday and gave her a simple gift of flowers. My mom has pretty much everything that she needs. In fact she literally has closets full of unused presents received over the years. I see no point adding to the pile. Some presents are regifted while a few have made their way into my hands for use. Also forget about going to a restaurant. My mom does not see much value in eating out nor care for the larger crowds and longer waits as everyone else dines out on Mother’s Day.

After consecutive 13 weeks my run of photos in different cities ends as I already know that the next picture will be from a previously and frequently used city. Nonetheless I impressed myself in this small accomplishment. Lastly I started a short-term job. A friend runs his own small company, which has less than a dozen employees. He recently lost a few workers and asked me to help find replacements while also working on a couple of special projects. The open positions did not fit my career interest but I could not turn down the temporary job. Maybe next week I’ll ask for a raise or is that too soon?

Angelo