Monday, March 10, 2008

Photo of the Week (March 9, 2008)


Greetings from Costa Mesa, California, USA!
Photo taken on Monday, March 3, 2008.

Last time I counted every place that I have called home in 36 years. The total was a whopping 18 locations – 7 houses, 8 condos and 3 apartments. In the USA, I have lived in 5 cities in 2 counties (Alhambra & West Covina in Los Angeles county and Irvine, Newport Beach & Costa Mesa in Orange county) all in California, just 1 of the 50 states. Yet I have lived in 3 countries on 3 continents (the Philippines in Asia, USA in North America and country/continent Australia). Next: With how many people have I lived?

I must skip my two homes in the Philippines. Between my parents’ two American houses, I lived with my family of 3 (dad, mom and brother). Also 4 of my mom’s relatives have stayed long-term – her sister, a cousin and his wife and the wife of another cousin. In Australia my first family had 6 - dad, mom, two sons, two daughters - and my second family had 7 - dad, mom, one son, two daughters and two foster baby boys. Family subtotal: 20.

I lived in six different places in college. First home had 3 roommates and 1 replacement (a roommate left and was replaced by another). Second home had 2 roommates and third home had 4. Fourth home had 3 roommates and 1 replacement. Fifth and sixth homes had 2 roommates each. College subtotal: 18.

After college I lived in six more places. First home had 2 roommates and 1 replacement. Second home had just 1. Third & fourth homes are combined as my roommates and I moved together. Between the two I had 2 roommates and 1 replacement. Fifth home had just 1 again. Sixth & current home has had 2 roommates and 1 replacement. Post college subtotal: 11.

Grand total: 49 people. Excluding family, the tally is 29 roommates. Twice I lived with a woman, on both occasions they were friends and my stays were temporary – three months apiece - while I transitioned between homes. I wrote a list of all my roommates. Nine names started with “J” surprisingly but the most common name was no surprise. I have lived with 4 Jons/Johns, 2 Jasons, 1 Jeremy, 1 Jose and 1 James. There are also Jennine and Janine, daughters from my two Australian host families. I’ll spare you the rest of the names. So I have counted where and with whom I have lived. What next – who I have dated? Uh, let’s not.

Angelo

PS: The weekly photo couldn’t fit into the context of my topic so it’s included here. South Coast Plaza has a covered footbridge connecting the main mall to the neighboring Crystal Court shopping center. I arrived at closing time. The lighting and lack of people give the photo a look that is interesting but hard to describe. Can you?