Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!


Greetings from Newport Beach, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Monday, March 17, 2008.

Once again I am trying to beat the clock. I have less than 45 minutes before St. Patrick’s Day is over in my time zone – déjà vu of my Valentine’s Day email. I must have a thing for recurring themes. I must also mention that the Photo of the Week emails have not ended. I’ve been busy and just haven’t had the time to write. But I have continued to take photos and the emails will too.

At first glance the weekly photo is probably not what you expect for the occasion but it is actually appropriate. One of my two roommates Wayne was born on March 17 making him a St. Patrick’s Day baby. I remembered it on Sunday night when I was at the grocery store and saw green bagels – from dye, not mold – but completely forgot about it the very next day. A phone call with a friend reminded me. I was with my roommate this morning, wished him happy birthday and learned that it was his 40th but he had no plans to celebrate.

Back home in the afternoon I told my other roommate James about Wayne’s birthday and we decided to pull something together on the fly. The results? We had a dinner party for six. We bought some steaks and corn on the cob and Wayne, who loves to barbecue, fired up his charcoal grill.

Wayne is a big motorcycle enthusiast with a Harley in our garage. One guest brought the cake decorated with an outline of the Harley-Davidson logo. We wrapped the evening by watching the first episode of a documentary miniseries called “The Long Way Down”, the sequel to “The Long Way Around”. Actor Ewan McGregor and his friend Charley Boorman took two motorcycle road trips - the first west/east from London to New York City via Europe, Asia and North America; the second north/south from London to Cape Town via Europe and Africa.

The clock is ticking away the final minutes of St. Patrick’s Day. Please forgive the typos. I’ll catch up on the weekly emails soon.

Angelo