Monday, February 11, 2008

Photo of the Week (February 10, 2008)


Greetings from Huntington Beach, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, February 10, 2008.

Last week I did it at a bowling alley with a group mostly of women. Previously I did it at the Relay for Life Kick Off with an acquaintance. Before that I did it at a party with two ex-coworkers. I did it at practically every Taste of Newport festival for the last 10 years with various people, at the Nixon Library with a high school classmate, at a South Coast Plaza store with a college classmate and even at my last job with an ex-roommate’s wife. But I never did it on an airplane or airport (yet).

It happens to all of us with someone somewhere sometime. “It” is unexpectedly running into people that you know, especially someone you hadn’t seen in years. What did you think “it” was? Yet I never realized the high frequency that it happened to me until a friend pointed it out. I wondered why and came up with two reasons.

First I go out – a lot – and not just to the end of the driveway for the mail and newspaper. My weekly emails prove this point. In the past half-year I went to Universal Studios, SeaWorld and the Aquarium of the Pacific; played volleyball at Corona del Mar Beach and watched volleyball at the UCI and USC campuses; and went to birthdays and other social occasions at Goat Hill Tavern, Tom Bergin’s, El Torito, The Wine Cellar and other restaurants and bars. Then there are the places that I didn’t have the space to mention.

Second I have lived all but two years of my life in California. Almost all my studies - graduate, undergraduate and grade school - have been here, as have all my past jobs too. This translates to numerous neighbors, roommates, teachers, classmates, coworkers and business contacts in addition to relatives, family friends, my own friends, acquaintances and one person I wish that I never met. Added up, a total of over 1000 people may be a gross understatement. With so many people and places, I’m surprised that I don’t run into someone that I know more often.

In fact the Photo of the Week prompts me to go out more. I could have stayed home last Sunday but instead, still needing a picture, headed to neighboring Huntington Beach. The water near the pier is a popular spot to ride the waves. The view from the pier is a perfect spot to watch the surfers. In the shot one man stood out literally as he paddled out with an oar and surfed, always standing, never falling into the water or lying down on his eye-catching yellow surfboard. While there I didn’t run into a cousin’s brother-in-law or the dorm mate of the coed that I dated for a month, fall quarter of junior year, although I wouldn’t mind doing “it” with her (again).

Angelo