Monday, August 27, 2007

Photo of the Week (08/26/07)


Greetings from Shamu Stadium at SeaWorld in San Diego, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Sunday, August 26, 2007.

A friend and I headed to San Diego for a two-day trip. Planning the excursion proved a challenge – we had trouble finding two consecutive days without work commitments, social events or family obligations on both our calendars preferably before the Labor Day holiday weekend to avoid the crowds but still enjoy the park’s extended summer hours. Now I have a greater appreciation for couples and the effort needed to coordinate their schedules.

Speaking of couples, my friend (a woman) and I were talking to the woman next to us in line for the whitewater-rafting ride. She thought we were married and was really embarrassed when I said we weren’t. I have no wedding band or any type of ring on my fingers. In fact I haven’t even worn a watch in the last few years nor have my friend and I even dated each other. I’ve avoided mentioning my friend’s name to spare her any embarrassment. See, I’m being a perfect gentleman.

My one-photo-only rule was really tested this week. Should I go for the overhead shot of the shark taken in the underwater tunnel? Maybe the eerie yet cool photo of the nautiluses? Perhaps flamingos or penguins or puffins? How about beluga whales or polar bears or aquatic acrobats?

Ultimately I went with the star attraction of SeaWorld – Shamu the killer whale. The shot was taken in the evening at the day’s last Shamu Rocks show, which is immediately followed by a fireworks display. After that it was off to the motel, which was inexpensive and a block away from a “gentleman’s club”. I remain a perfect gentleman.

Angelo