Monday, August 20, 2007

Photo of the Week (08/19/07)


Greetings from Universal Studios in Universal City, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Friday, August 17, 2007.

I attended a postage stamp ceremony at Universal Studios. Customarily when the United States Postal Services (USPS) has a new commemorative stamp, it will be available for purchase only in one city for the first day, then nationwide the following day. You can also get a special cancellation mark on the stamp to show that it was bought on the "first day of issue".

The USPS has a series of stamps called the "Legends of Hollywood". Since 1994 a new stamp comes out of a "Hollywood legend" - an actor, director, etc. - and I've gotten a sheet of stamps of each one - 13 so far. Previous stamps in the series had James Dean, Alfred Hitchcock and Lucille Ball. This year it was James (Jimmy) Stewart.

You can use the internet to find out what stamp is coming out when and where, which may relates to the person on the stamp like his birthday and hometown for example. Also the ceremony may be public or private. I went to the James Dean stamp ceremony, which was by invitation only and held in the back lot of Warner Bros. Studios. The simple trick is to find out whom to contact and asked to be added.

Same deal with the James Stewart stamp. It was held at Universal Studios. I called the contact and got on the list. The ceremony was great. They played clips from some of his movies, 3 of his 4 children and their families were there and an impersonator did a little show as a finale.

Since I was already there, I went to the Universal Studios park, took the behind-the-scenes tour and watch some shows including the Waterworld one as shown in the picture. I was sitting in the "wet zone" so when that plane landed in the water, the splash completely drenched my front side. I did see the wave coming and was able to put my camera behind me before it could get soaked too.

By the way, I have one simple rule with this weekly email - I can attach only one picture. Even though I have shots from the Jimmy Stewart stamp ceremony, I didn't include any. Of all the pictures from last week, I liked the airplane shot the most.

Lastly, you may have already noticed that I am not in any of the photos. Since I am often on my own, I'm not in most of the pictures. Also I am semi-intentionally choosing the ones without me in them. Consider it "artistic preference". Rest assured, I was actually at all the places.

Angelo