Monday, July 28, 2008

1 Week, 1 Photo & 500 Words or Less (July 27, 2008)




Greetings from West Covina, California, USA!
Photos taken on Sunday, July 27, 2008.

* This was a missing journal entry. I took a hiatus – the break unplanned, the duration undefined. Eventually I restarted but skipped over 14 weeks. Approximately a year later the entry is now written.

The guest bedroom enlargement project at my parents’ house is done and I am not impressed. The contractor built a “guest house” annex for a relative. It looked fine at first glance but a closer examination revealed small mistakes that a more experienced builder would flag and correct. I asked to see the blueprints before construction began but that did not happen. Less than two months later the job was done. My pair of weekly photos shows opposite views of the room.

The room has one big flaw. The new foundation is uneven with the original. Even worse the mistake could have been caught and corrected. As a measure of safety during construction, my dad boarded up all the doors between the bedroom and the rest of the house. When they were reopened the foundation on one side of an entryway was not level with the other side by as much as a half-inch.

Another flaw is an external door that was elevated a few inches to prevent flooding. But no step was made to compensate for the added height. In each case, people can easily trip walking through the doorway. The rest of my small list of complaints are largely personal preferences. The saying goes, “No use crying over spilt milk.” My dad has done nothing to fix the mistakes and I suspect that it will stay that way for a long while.

I started a 7-day temp job at an ad agency. The project trafficker was going on a vacation and I would cover for her. I started on Thursday to train with her for two days then be on my own the following week. But she called in sick on Friday so I flew solo a day sooner. The creative studio was suppose to be a very busy place but the work load was lighter than usual. On a few occasions people went home early because it was so slow.

Overall I enjoyed the experience and my supervisor was happy with my work. If and when she needed the help again, she would give me a call. Considering how sparse the work assignments have been, I was happy to hear that news.

Angelo