Monday, July 21, 2008

1 Week, 1 Photo & 500 Words or Less (July 20, 2008) SPECIAL EDITION







Greetings from Costa Mesa, California, USA!
Photos taken on Sunday, July 20, 2008.

This edition is an appropriate starting point so I am adding a few people to my distribution list. Also in response to a comment, I am averse to call these “messages” a blog or diary. I prefer “journal entry”, as when I started this, I said that in another life I would have been a photojournalist.

In April 2007 I finally bought my first digital camera, despite its rapid popularity in the past decade, and a month later, started using it. To date I have nearly 1900 shots with just 64 pictures making their way into these entries. Coincidentally my first photo of my first digital camera was taken the same day that I bought my first new laptop computer (my previous one was secondhand).

Similar to the camera, the computer stayed boxed up for a week more. Most people, especially men, would power up the laptop and camera moments after arriving home. But at work I spent nearly all my time using a computer, then came home completely averse to touching another piece of technology. Not by coincidence, when my job ended, my photojournal began. In fact my journal’s first photo was taken on my last day of work after I left the office and went to the Orange County Fair. I had already planned to go there later that day and just went sooner, not allowing bad news to ruin my fun.

Still looking for a job a year later, I have had a few moments of search frustration but far more moments of “carpe diem”, Latin for seize the day. Others are enwrapped in a wi-fi world of Bluetooths and Blackberrys. I have a dusty alarm clock. In the past 365 days, I cruised Newport Bay in a tri-level luxury yacht and an electric-powered Duffy boat; attended three weddings and one funeral; played beach volleyball and watched the professionals do it 100-times better; seen a meteor shower, a lunar eclipse and countless seaside sunsets; and volunteered in many community projects and charity events.

Breaking tradition, I have not one but three photos that bring the past year full circle. Like my very first two journal pictures, this latest trio is from the Orange County Fair. Breaking tradition again, I appear in one shot – at least my backside does – with a passerby, looking up at my picture, a past weekly photo, which was accepted in the fair’s annual photo contest but did not win. The other two snapshots show the fair’s theme “Say Cheese” illustrated over the carnival area entrance and also given form in a sand sculpture of a mouse in a camera, a fitting follow-up to last year’s “Cowabunga” theme and surfing cows sand masterpiece. Next year will be a “Super Fair” and the theme “Think. Big.” My response, “Can’t. Wait.”

Angelo