Monday, March 2, 2009

Photo of the Week (March 1, 2009)


Greetings from Irvine, California, USA!
Photo taken on Saturday, February 28, 2009.

Have I gone three straight weeks with nothing eventful? Will I write again about movies & television? The best television spin-off – Laverne & Shirley, Melrose Place, Law & Order: SVU? Or the best movie series – James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter? I give that topic a rest as I actually went out and did stuff.

On Friday afternoon a friend and I went to lunch and a movie. Both were inexpensive. The meal was at a Souplantation restaurant and the movie was a pay-per-view back at the home that my friend and her husband recently bought. We watched The House Bunny, a pleasant comedy. I often read the credits and saw the name Rumer Willis. I vaguely remember when she was born to her parents, actors Bruce Willis & Demi Moore. Fast forward 20 years and here she is all grown up. I feel old now.

That evening I watched a men’s volleyball match. The UC Irvine Anteaters team won the match – 3 games to 1 – against the Long Beach State 49ers, bringing the season record to 14 wins, 3 losses. Also in the three weeks since my last update, the team has moved a notch in the national rankings, up from #3 to #2. Woohoo!

On Saturday I went ice-skating for the second time. My first was three years ago when a friend invited me to an ice rink in Pasadena. I never fell down but did not last long on the ice. My problem was the rental skates. I tried on two pairs but neither fit right, making my feet hurt while skating so I gave up.

This time around I had better fitting skates and fell only once. The same friend was with me at a temporary ice rink set up at the Great Park in Irvine. It was housed in an old airplane hanger on the former El Toro Airbase. Both the rink and skates were free but limited to a 50-minute session. This week’s photo shows the ice rink, almost completely smoothed out by the zamboni in between the hourly skate sessions.

Taking full advantage of the day’s great weather my friend and I next went to Laguna Beach for a couple of hours walking along the beach, climbing the rocks and looking into tide pools. That was followed by a pizza dinner, a chance encounter with a former coworker at a coffee shop and a singles mixer. I had a long day and left the last event early. In fact I was so tired that even after a night’s sleep I did nothing the next day. Aren’t you supposed to rest on Sundays anyway?

Angelo