Monday, January 21, 2008

Photo of the Week (January 20, 2008)


Greetings from Newport Beach, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, January 20, 2008.

When I began these Photo of the Week emails, I did six all at once, then stopped, then started again with six more and, since then, have been able to churn these out steadily week in, week out, up until now. This latest email though comes out later than normal. I admit it. I was stuck. I even began writing one message but eventually abandon it because the topic just did not excite me enough.

The weeks have gone from one extreme to the other – one week busy, the next week not busy, then back again. This week was definitely not busy and by the time Sunday arrived, I had no new photos. Evening came and I took a walk. I went to the beach but it was too dark. The camera shutter would stay open longer to compensate for the lack of light and the cold air made holding my hands still very difficult. Every shot was blurry.

On my walk back home I stopped by the community swimming pool. Definitely nothing to brag about – in fact, it’s blurry too – but I had something that I could live with as the photo of the week. Last November one weekly photo was actually a pair of pictures – two near-identical shots of fake reindeer, one taken in the day, the other at night – and the decorative lightning in the night photo was accentuated when juxtaposed by the day photo. Lighting plays a big part on this chosen photo too. In fact water and lighting can create an interesting interplay. That potential is barely tapped in this photo but it is there.

Hold off on calling me washed up just yet. Instead consider this week a wash. I didn’t drown but I didn’t swim either. Instead I barely treaded water. But before this starts to go down the drain or in the toilet, I’ll put an end to all these aquatic remarks. Let’s hope my writer’s block ebbs and I’m flooded with topics for the next weekly email. Oops, another water reference. Sorry, that will be the last one. I swear. I am now bone dry. Or not. But the wine bottle next to me is definitely empty. I have said too much.

Angelo