Monday, December 3, 2007

Photo of the Week (12/02/07)


Greetings for El Torito Restaurant in Fashion Island Shopping Center, Newport Beach, California, USA!
Photo was taken on Tuesday, November 27, 2007.

This week’s photo was taken at a friend’s 41st birthday celebration at El Torito. We were in the restaurant’s patio where these decorative lights added to the festive atmosphere. If you do the math, you’ll see that my friend hit the big 4-0 last year and he wasn’t alone. In addition to plenty of weddings, I also went to at least five parties celebrating the 40th birthday milestone in a 16-month period of time from November 2005 to February 2007. Not surprisingly all the celebrations were for men and not a single woman. I know one lady who celebrates birthday #29 every year, never reaching #30. I should point out that I have known her for 10 years. You can do the math and then contemplate the age double standard between the sexes.

By the way I have known about the El Torito restaurants for years and yet only recently I realized that its name is Spanish for “The Little Bull”. (You can see wall art of bulls in the picture.) I took five years of Espanol in grade school and the simplest words and phrases still stump me. Then again my last class was nearly twenty years ago and I haven’t used the language much, not even during my trip to Mexico last September. Cie la vie. Wait, that’s French. Oy, vey. Wait, I mean… Oh, never mind.

Back to milestones, next year will mark twenty years since I went to Australia as a high school exchange student. While my Spanish-speaking skills have suffered, my Aussie-speak has fared much better by keeping in touch with a handful of classmates in Oz, several of whom receive this weekly email. I made a return trip to the Land Down Under back in 1994 (almost fourteen years ago) but in two decades only a single classmate made the trip across the Pacific to see me - just one in twenty years. Maybe this guilt trip will result in a plane trip from one of them. Two decades, mates, what are you waiting for?

Finally last Friday was the last day of November. I predicted rain by month’s end and it happened. There were even flash flooding warnings. Nothing close to biblical proportions but I will take what I can get. Ready for my next prediction? I predict… Nothing. I got nothing. Check back next week. Until then, um, er… What is good bye in Spanish? Caio? Wrong, that’s Italian. Arigato? No, that’s Japanese for thank you. Aloha. (Close enough.)

Angelo