Monday, February 2, 2009

Photo of the Week (February 1, 2009)


Greetings from Los Angeles, California, USA!
Photo taken on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

A friend invited me as her guest to a birthday party in Hollywood on Saturday night. I would be driving through Los Angeles and went early to visit Exposition Park. I had been there several times previously as it has various attractions such as a rose garden, museums and sporting venues.

The park’s California Science Center has an IMAX Theatre, where I saw two short 3-D movies. “Watching” is an understatement. “Experiencing” is more accurate. By mixing three-dimensional technology with the huge screen and surround sound, you find yourself “in the movie”. But story is still important. The first movie was a narrative nightmare. Fortunately the second was better scripted.

Exposition Park also has the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Currently it is home to the Trojans football team of my graduate school alma mater, the University of Southern California (FIGHT ON!), its campus adjacent to the north of the park. But the greatest fame comes from the Olympics. The stadium held the opening and closing ceremonies as well as the track & field events for the 1932 and 1984 games.

After the movies, I saw that the Coliseum’s Olympic Cauldron was lit and the evening sky added to the rare moment as captured in this week’s photo. The stadium had no event but some lights were on and I heard music from the field beyond my view. The USC marching band may have been rehearsing but I know not why the Cauldron need be on.

Next I met up with my friend and headed to Hollywood. Arriving ahead of schedule, we visited and took photos at two nearby attractions - the Kodak Theatre, where the Academy Awards aka the Oscars are presented, and Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, where movie stars leave their hand and foot prints in its cement pavement.

The party had a theme of prohibition-era speakeasy and you needed a password “Dillinger” to enter the back room of the Pig & Whistle restaurant where the birthday gathering was held. In the midst of this fun evening, I ran into an acquaintance. I first met Chuck at a wedding two years ago. We met again as his wife and my friend both knew the birthday girl. This six degrees of separation stuff happens all too frequently to me.

Finally on Sunday was the Superbowl. At a friend’s party, I partook in the traditional betting pool and won the 3rd quarter pot. As for the game, Arizona Cardinals almost upset the favored Pittsburgh Steelers. In the last three minutes, the Cardinals finally took the lead (20-23) but two minutes later the Steelers regained it to take the game (27-23). The Cardinals lost but I had a winning weekend.

Angelo