Monday, January 19, 2009

Photo of the Week (January 18, 2009)


Greetings from Pasadena, California, USA!
Photo taken on Sunday, January 18, 2009.

In November I attended the christening-type celebration for a cousin’s newborn triplets. In December I was at a party where three women were noticeably pregnant. Now I know three other women expecting babies in January. In fact the trio of infants, all boys, were born within three days of each other with the first two sharing the same birth date while the third arrived two days later.

I once read that big events such as natural disasters can spike pregnancies rates. For example if New York City had a power outage lasting several days, then hospitals can expect a minor baby boom nine months later. With no electricity for many of life’s basics like television and light, people have more idle time for sex.

So what was happening when these mothers became pregnant around the same time? Nine months back would be mid-April 2008 and no significant events come to mind. The 15th of that month is the deadline to file income tax statements but I doubt that these couples were celebrating the completion of their tax forms and possible refunds. I also stopped short of actually asking these women and their husbands any intrusive questions.

From the little information that I do know, I surmise that it was completely coincidental. One couple decided to adopt after news that having a baby naturally was highly unlikely. Ironically the wife got pregnant just as they adopted a newborn son. Now they have two boys, both under a year old, and the couple’s stamina and sanity are likely tested every day. The second couple used in vitro fertilization and, as far as I know, the third couple simply did what newlyweds normally do.

Should I expect more monthly experiences of babies-times-three? Or has it run its course after three months? And was it all a coincidence? Yikes, I just asked three questions. Maybe in three months I will attend three weddings and in three more months I will attend three funerals. As a finale three months after that I will attend a birth, a wedding and a funeral. Possible? Yes. Likely? No. But life is unpredictable and, come what may, I will take it in stride.

Angelo

PS: By default the photo of the week is my only photo taken this week. Additionally it did not fit with my topic above so it is addressed here instead. Deriving its name from the two intersecting streets next to it – Colorado & Fair Oaks, the Colfair building is part of the revitalization of Downtown Pasadena. Originally an office building, the first floor is now retail space while the other floors are a blend of business and residential. I have a business friend who once rented a third-story loft there. He told people that he lived above a barn as the Pottery Barn store was on the ground floor.