Monday, December 1, 2008

1 Week, 1 Photo & 500 Words or Less (November 30, 2008)


Greetings from Los Angeles, California, USA!
Photo taken on Saturday, November 29, 2008.

Despite all my time in Southern California, I have never gone to the L.A. Auto Show nor the L.A. Convention Center where it was held. So I killed two birds with one stone by attending it. Speaking of feathered duos, I had a pair of turkey meals on Thanksgiving Thursday – an early dinner at a friend’s house and a late dinner with my parents – but my many hours of walking at the Auto Show surely burned off those calories and then some.

I severely underestimated the time that I ultimately spent there – some 5 hours – and still did not see everything. In fact when looking through the event program at home, I saw that I completely missed a showroom. Fortunately it held only auto-related exhibitors, not more cars, so I don’t feel that I missed out on something important.

With dozens of vehicles on display, I made a list of my top three favorite autos at the show. But first an honorable mention to the one and only motorcycle there, a 2009 BMW R 1200 HP2 Sport priced at over $25,000. Actually I’m partial to the even more expensive Ducati brand and I should check for a L.A. Motorcycle Show.

My choice in automobiles does not favor the traditional passenger car. My last two cars, a Ford Ranger truck and a Jeep Wrangler, reflect my interests in a distinct look and strength over speed. At the show the Ranger was nowhere to be found but the Wrangler was in abundance and takes the number 3 spot on my fave list. Recently a four-door version has come out that looked like the offspring between a Hummer and a Jeep but, with the hard top off, it still resembled its Wrangler parentage. Meanwhile the tank-like look of the Hummer has softened with each generation but has yet to win me over.

Number 2 on my fave list, the Mini Cooper, first caught my attention in the movie The Italian Job. It is the top contender for my next car, which looks to be two or more years away. Its one large drawback is the low profile. In my Wrangler and the Ranger before it, I was seated high with a view overlooking the typical car.

I return to Jeep for my favorite car at the show. In the weekly photo is the Renegade, a concept car. Its information sign says it best, “Suited for the all-weather delights of off-roading and dune surfing” and “designed for those who want to enjoy the earth while taking care of its future.” While you can sit in many of the cars, the Jeep Renegade was off limits – a minor disappointment quickly cancelled out by an overall great experience. The show had one big side effect on me though. I want a new car!!!

Angelo