Monday, August 11, 2008

1 Week, 1 Photo & 500 Words or Less (August 10, 2008)


Greetings from Irvine, California, USA!
Photo taken on Saturday, August 9, 2008.

* This was a missing journal entry. I took a hiatus – the break unplanned, the duration undefined. Eventually I restarted but skipped over 14 weeks. Approximately a year later the entry is now written.

Recently my parents went to Seattle for 11 days, both my roommates went on a motorcycle trip for 3 days and a couple with their son went to Hawaii for 7 days. Where did I go? I spent a week in Fountain Valley dog-sitting for the island-bound family.

While not a five-star hotel, their house has its comforts – a swimming pool, a jacuzzi, 100+ channels of cable with Tivo, flat-screen televisions in the bedroom and living room and, overlooking the three dogs and one cat, an empty house to do whatever whenever I wanted.

I spent most of my time at “Casa de Pou-chay” playing with the pets, watching television, lounging beside and in the pool and jacuzzi… Basically I did not have a care in the world, just living the “Life of Riley”, whoever he is. Everyone needs to leave harsh reality occasionally and enter a dreamland, a place with no distinction between weekdays and weekends, no schedules or routines, nothing resembling everyday life.

I left the “sanctuary” occasionally. I went to the beach to play volleyball twice during the week and to the Orange County Great Park yet again on Saturday. I was there for an evening flight in the big balloon. In my weekly photo the orange orb stands out against the dark sky. From the bird’s eye view of the balloon, lights from cars, streets and buildings created a luminous nightscape – an enlightening new perspective of suburbia.

Meanwhile the Olympic games in Beijing, China, started on Friday with the Opening Ceremonies, which had me on complete awe. Artistry seamlessly intertwined with technology and the talents of the performers were magnified by the scope of the production. This was inarguably a five-star caliber performance. Let the games begin.

Angelo